Thursday, September 13, 2007

Bolivarian Last Supper



As seen on the legendary "23 de Enero" neighborhod of Caracas. This mural, where the Christ is seated with this collection of criminals (with the exception of Bolivar, Simon Rodriguez and Guacaipuro) was painted by the "Colectivo Alexis Vives", a threatening communist propaganda group.

Who are the two ones between Bolivar and Chavez? Anyone knows? I have no clue. The one on the left looks like Kim Jong Il.

And what do you think are the books on the table? Das Kapital, The Bible, and you can see Chavez been timid like it´s not his intention putting his "bitch" Constitution on the table. It made me smile the candid intention of the artist. By the way, let´s be clear that I am not the one who likes to call the constitution "The Bitch". To clear the air, that was the name that Chavez put to his creation and he likes to call it like that, really. Really.

Can you imagine Chavez in the real last supper? I have the feeling Jesus would had to shut him up more than a few times. I imagine Jesus on Chavez: "Enough with the Empire talk!! Can I speak now disciple Chavez? I have something very important to say to all of you about this last supper brother, can I finish before they come after me?"

Well, what can I say. I have the feeling that the communist folks from the "Colectivo Alexis Vives" though they were going to get into some sort of confrontation with the Catholic church and the other Christian denomination churches who also live in Venezuela, but, from a Christian point of view, this picture is not blasphemous at all, at least in my opinion.

As soon as I saw this picture, these words of the Lord (Luke 5 - 30:32) came to my mind:

"The Pharisees and their scribes complained to his disciples, saying, "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?"

Jesus said to them in reply, "Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do.

I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners."

What do you think?

No comments: